FILESHARE: LinkedIn & Outlook – Connected
Use Microsoft Outlook? Have a solid, functional LinkedIn network? Bring those worlds together, starting today.
Elliot Schmukler has offered up 3 easy steps to get you started:
- Download the latest version of the Outlook Social Connector from Microsoft (Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 is required)
- Once that is installed, download the LinkedIn Outlook Connector
- Restart your Outlook and follow the instructions to connect your LinkedIn account to Outlook
There you have it. Now go sync up and leverage your contacts and connections!
Oh, wait…hold on, before you go…just one back-to-basics suggestion from little old me on LinkedIn etiquette. (Make that two suggestions…)
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR LINKEDIN INVITATIONS: Please do NOT use the default “I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn” unless you literally just got off the phone with that person. Say hello, tell people (especially if you don’t know them well) WHY you thought it would be good to connect. And if you’re connecting to someone you haven’t seen in 100 years or only met once 5 years ago, remind them of how you know them. Remember this is a professional network — so be professional and personable.
- CHECK YOUR PROFILE, PEOPLE: By all means, please fill in your LinkedIn profile to as close to 100% completion as you can get it BEFORE you start sending out invitations to connect. It sounds obvious, but I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t see a need/reason to say it. Tips for your profile? Be succinct. Address the “here’s-what-I-can-do-for-you,-Mr./Mrs.-Visitor-To-My-Profile” benefit quickly and right up front in your summary. Use keywords relevant to your business/job/industry. Post a logo or image of some kind if you don’t want to use your own portrait, but DO NOT leave the image blank so that default human outline pops up.
That’s it. Link up and link on, my friends.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Microsoft Outlook to Add MySpace and Facebook Integration (mashable.com)
- Microsoft Office 2010 Gets More Social (blogs.technet.com)
- Microsoft updates program to bring social network updates into Outlook e-mail program (taragana.com)